Friday, May 29, 2009

Spellcheck in InDesign

It appears that InDesign's spellcheck feature does not necessarily catch everything in one sweep. In other words, if you run spellcheck on a document and it finishes, if you run it again, frequently it will catch something it missed earlier. Now I should clarify this with an example: In the document I'm currently working in, the first run of spellcheck caught the name "higgins" which was part of an e-mail address (hence the lower-case spelling). When I ran spellcheck again, it caught the entire e-mail address that included the "higgins" it had caught earlier.

Based on this example, it looks like we don't have to worry about InDesign missing something spelled incorrectly; rather, it looks as though it will miss, on first run anyway, a word not in its dictionary that contains a word not in its dictionary, like "wiggins@someplace.com". Still, when running spellcheck, we should probably re-run it until it finds nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment